Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Room Reveal

Many of you know that I took on the undertaking of sewing all the bedding for Andrew and Nora's room. It was so nice to be able to pick out custom fabric instead of getting something from a store. My mom helped me sew some, and who doesn't love to sew with their mom?? 

I kept up with the owl theme. I had owls with Andrew, and also made his bedding. (See post HERE). I remember when I chose owls with Andrew, people really questioned my reasoning, since owls were not popular then. (yes, you read that right, I started the trend!). My love of owls is inherited. My Great-Grandma Scott LOVED owls, and had many many many in her home. I'm lucky to have one of her owls, one that my Grandpa Scott carved. 

This is the owl he carved. I love having it in the nursery. This wise owl keeps a constant eye on my babies. I'm super lucky and grateful to have this owl!!
So, there you have it. The story of the owl theme that has always been in my nurseries, and in my home :-)

Without much further ado, here are pictures of the room. (we're renting... so no paint on the walls... that's ok though!)


So, here's the view when you walk into the room. The 'Andrew' letters were up in Andrew's nursery.

Here's Andrew's bedding. I love this fabric. The owl plushie was added yesterday. I was given a pink owl (on Nora's crib) which Andrew's grown quite fond of. I used that owl as a template so Andrew could have one if his own. The blue bedside table was thrifted from my sister, before that, my mom's. This table has been around as long as I can remember. And with those Jenny Lind spindles, it had to be mine. (the blue owl hanging from it is from Andrew's old mobile I made for him... I had to have a few things from the old room!)

Here's Nora's side of the room. If you notice, the fabric is in the same collection of Andrews. It was a great find! I love the branches with owls on them. I think it adds a nice touch. The frame above the changing table will hold all of her little hair bows/clips. Nora also has her name up on the wall. 

This is a drawing my niece, Mikayla drew for Andrew's nursery. I think it's too cute to take down!

I LOVE this blanket. I'm not sure if my sisters know that I have this blanket, but I guess the secret is out. It's a blanket that my mom got at a garage sale in the early 80's. From what I've seen online, it's from the 60's. It has all the characters from Bambi cross-stitched on it.  I LOVE wrapping my babies in it.

Here's a closer view of the crib bedding. I Love it!

Here's the mobile that I made for Nora. I made one for Andrew, an never took a picture of it. I crocheted all the little owls.

Lastly, here's a view from the opposite side of the room. I love the way everything has turned out!


You know, crazy thing... Come to think of it... the only item we've purchased new in this room is Andrew's bed. Everything else has come from generous donations or Craigslist. Proof that you can have a cute room on a shoe string budget!!

8 comments:

  1. I'm a HUGE owl fan these days! My classroom is all owls. I even ordered this for my classroom and put it on one of my white boards. I love it! http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003NZGFR6/ref=oh_o03_s00_i00_details

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks really great! I love all the sentimental value in the room!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Talk about a labor of love! Adorable. I can't believe you even made the mobile. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is a super cute room. The owls are perfect. Afton's room is owls too and I made everything for it as well. I am kind of bummed that owls are popular now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So, so cute. Love the handmade touches. I just met Nora's new cousin, Jamison! They are going to have fun together.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the owl design. I have the same owl design for beckhams crib bedding. I bought some same fabric online and my mom mde a cute baby blanket.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the owls! And the fact that you found/made everything yourself! Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the bedding, what a great fabric for your owl love! Good work Emily! I love donations and thrifty finds!

    ReplyDelete