Saturday, September 11, 2010

5K, ok!


Morgan, Andrew, and our good friend, Mike.

Today Morgan, Andrew and I all had the chance to participate in a 5K. It was in memory of a solider who passed away a few years ago (he was LDS, too). It was put on by the ROTC organization on campus, and the proceeds are going to the Families of 9/11. We thought it would be nice to go and support our country this way, especially today. They had a nice short program before the race in Sanford Stadium. It was really nice.

I've been training to do a 5K since May, and have been able to run the whole length, and steadily improve my time during the past 6 weeks or so. So, we get to the race and everything starts out great - Morgan is moving faster than he thought he would with the stroller - I was feeling great and pumped - and had some great music going on my iPod.

Lucky me, though. Literally 4 minutes into the I roll my ankle and sprain it really bad. At first I thought it really wasn't that bad. I tried to walk it off, then started to run a little, and realized that it would not be wise to do to. Needless to say - I had to stop. (SO BUMMED... remember, I've been training for this since May) Thankfully when I started to walk back I spotted Mike's wife, Heather and her son Anders. I was glad to have someone to sit with until the race ended. I was pretty bummed about not being able to finish the race! It's still pretty swollen, and imagine it will be for a little while. I'm having a grand time hobbling around the house. haha.

At least Morgan and Andrew did well - Andrew won first place in his age group!!! (haha) Morgan was really happy that he beat the Air Force group from on campus. (sorry Air Force) I was really impressed with the Army, Navy, what have you. They all ran in formation and were doing their chants, the whole time! Some carrying flags and all.

Morgan said it was also fun pushing Andrew. He swears that at parts of the race Andrew was saying "Go, Go!" He was a good little cheerleader for Morgan.

Well, I'm hoping to be back running in a few weeks. I had plans on running a 10K in November, I think it'll only be a 5K now for me. I don't want to push it too much. I'll just have to find another 10K to do later on.

4 comments:

  1. Sorry Emily! It was a total bummer and I hope that you get feeling all the way better so you can continue in your goal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey! I thought I already commented on here but how are you doing now? Is the ankle getting better?

    ReplyDelete